Monday, October 10, 2011

Tote Bag Tutorial

Hi all,
I am finally getting around to the tutorial I promised last week.  I have done this for a friend in Brissy and I wanted to make one for a friend in the States that loves RED so I thought, while I was making it for her I would give you the instructions as well.  I cased this from Hollystampin on you tube.
This is the finished product.  First you need:
1 x Card - riding hood red  -  4 1/4" x 10 1/4"  scored at 4 1/2" and 5 3/4", this is the base and everything will be attached to it.
3 x Card - pink pirouette - 4" x 4 1/4"  -  this is the matting for front and two insides.
3 x Card - basic grey - 3 3/4" x 4"  -  this is the matting on top of the pink pirouette.
3 x Card - riding hood red - 4 3/4" x 3 1/4"  -  theses are the pockets and need to be scored
                                                                           1/4", 3/4" on 3 of the sides. 
3 x Card - pink pirouette - 2 1/4" x 3 1/4"  -  for matting on boxes
3 x Card - basic grey - 1" x 3 1/4"  -  matting on top of pink pirouette
punch out 4 x 1 1/4" circles and punch hole with drop-a-dial in the middle - for ribbon to run through for handles
These are all the pieces.  I have adhered the pink pirouette already and embossed the basic grey (just for an added texture and look), I have folded the boxes and added red tape.
This is the front cover, the back is left blank
Now I have adhered the basic grey on all three sides.
At this point I have punched holes through the circles, it is easy to use the scoring blade on these so they wrap over the sides easily.  I used magnetic circles on the inside of the basic grey, which is why my latch is just sitting there - making sure it was in the middle and also, so I knew where to put it on the other side, I used red tape to adhere on the back.  I added this so the bag can close or you can put the same thing on the side or some ribbon closing it on the sides as well.
Sorry this picture is blurry, don't know what I was thinking!!!!.  I have put the front pocket on and I just eye-balled it, and then the circles (again with red tape) sticking the ribbon on the inside so it is all very neat.  Love the red tape to make sure the card does not come undone or lose its sticky, great for these projects.
So now I have all three pockets on and the tote just needs to be decorated, with the finishing touches.
The extra pieces for decorating, I have used the scallop border punch and I am also putting bows on the pockets too, need to break the colours a little!!
have put the basic grey matting on and tape on the back before putting on the ribbons and attaching to the pockets

Don't forget the insides, heheheh



And there is our bag all finished.  You will have to wait to see my card for the inside and what else I put in there until I know she has it or until I show you everything I sent.....lol
I hoped you have as much fun making this as I did..........

2 comments:

  1. ohhhhhh love the idea of the magnetic instead of velco dot...will give that a go next time.....I'm sure she will love it. Angie xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow lots of work in this but so worth the outcome. Love your idea of using magnetic instead of velcro, definitely going to give that a try. Thanks for taking the time to do a tute - much easier with piccies. xox

    ReplyDelete